First Baptist Church of Chico
Church and Weatherford, Chico
Organized in 1874 in home of B. F. Booth by Missionary Noah T. Byars (1808-88), assisted by the Reverend Sithemore, who became pastor. Congregation met at Booth's and in the H. P. Morris home until it acquired site east of present church and built a brush arbor for summertime use, worshiping in the schoolhouse in winter. The earliest frame church was replaced by a larger one in 1908; Sunday School rooms were added in 1936; the educational building was erected in 1959; the present sanctuary was completed in 1962. Original membership of five has increased to more than 400.