First Baptist Church of Decatur
1200 Preskitt Rd, Decatur
Organized in 1856 under the Rev. J.T. Willis, the church first met in the log cabin of Samuel Perrin in Taylorsville, now known as Decatur. From early on, members were active in the town. By the late 1880s, the Rev. J.F. Young preached both in this church and to Decatur’s African American community. Also during this time, the church worked closely with Northwest Texas Baptist College, forerunner of Decatur Baptist College. As membership grew, the congregation continued its area involvement. In 1956, the mayor pronounced a day in honor of Dr. R.E. Bell, a pastor of the church who was active in the community. The church continues to be an important spiritual and educational influence on Decatur.