R. C. Mount House
Mount Street, North of Chico
From Chico, take Mount Street 1 mile north.
A surveyor, part-time Methodist preacher, and Wise County's first tax assessor-collector, R. C. Mount (1826-97) began this structure in 1872 to house his large family. Built of rock that Mount and his sons hauled by wagon from Palo Pinto County, the original 2-story section was completed in 1874. Contractor H. A. Saye of Amarillo enlarged the house in 1890, and further remodeling was done in 1920. The property is still owned by the Mount family.