First Post Office in Wise County
Marshall Drive & Rogers Rd., Newark TX
Established September 8, 1855. First white settler in Wise County, Benjamin B. Haney, was the first postmaster. Second was Martha E. Marshall, appointed December 5, 1856; third, Nathan Huff, served from March 16, 1860, until office was discontinued on December 5, 1866. David C. Haynes and William Quagle, contractors, brought mail every Saturday by stagecoach from Birdville (25 miles southeast), arriving Odessa 12:00 noon. Stayed at George Wilmouth Inn two hours, arriving in Birdville 8:00 p.m. Second post office, Newark, opened 1893, after another Odessa was founded in Ector County.