Home Projects At The Museum History Of The Museum Wise County Historical Society Wise County Historical Commission Current Exhibits Upcoming Events County Historical Sites Gift Store Membership and Support Frequently Asked Questions Related Links Contact Us Photo Gallery

Trimble Cemetery
South of Decatur on FM730, rightt. On 4280, rightt. on 4292, left at next dirt road, cemetert. On right.

    TRIMBLE CEMETERY TRIMBLE CEMETERY WAS THE MAIN BURIAL GROUND USED BY THE RESIDENTS OF THE TINY COMMUNITY OF FLATWOOD (ALSO KNOWN AS DAVIS CITY) THAT EXISTED DURING THE LATE NINETEENTH CENTURY. THE CEMETERY IS NAMED FOR AN EARLY OWNER OF THE PROPERTY, JAMES W. TRIMBLE, WHO PURCHASED LAND INCLUDING THE CEMETERY SITE IN 1877. IN 1921, B.F. WALKER AND W.S. SMITH EACH DEEDED A SMALL PORTION OF THEIR LAND TO FORMALLY ESTABLISH THE THREE-ACRE TRIMBLE CEMETERY. THE EARLIEST MARKED GRAVES IN THE CEMETERY ARE THOSE OF ONE-YEAR-OLD OLLIE M. RUCKER AND SIXTEEN-YEAR-OLD BENJAMIN J. BROWN, WHO BOTH DIED IN 1877. THE CEMETERY SERVES AS A RECORD OF THE EARLY SETTLERS OF THE DAVIS CITY AND FLATWOOD COMMUNITIES AND THEIR DESCENDANTS. HISTORIC TEXAS CEMETERY – 2008