By 1882, when the Fort Worth & Denver Railroad built a line to this area, a small agricultural community had developed here on an old Indian trail. First known as Nina, the town was renamed Alvord in 1883, probably in honor of J.B. Alvord, President of the railroad. Early businesses here included mercantile stores, a drugstore, a variety store, a bank, Hotels and a saloon with a second floor opera house. the first school was established at Briar Branch in 1890. Alvord has continued to develop as a center of farming, ranching and oil production.