In 1874, 35 charter members organized Hopewell Baptist Church. The congregation’s first building was located about one mile south at Hopewell Cemetery. In 1887 the church moved here, near the Landmark Hill named Lone Mound. Members built a new sanctuary in 1899 and were first ministered to by circuit riding preachers, meeting one Sunday a month for worship; by 1950 the congregation met weekly. The congregation’s focus had included missions and youth activities. Located near the Lone Mound School, Hopewell Baptist Church was a focal point for the community and the sanctuary has long been a gathering place for residents. Today, Hopewell Baptist Church continues to be a spiritual leader in Wise County.