This community was named for the lookout point used by Indians and settlers in the 19th century. From his land near the landmark mound, W. C. Ellis designated (1876) acreage for public use, and the cemetery had been opened by 1880. Van Dearing Perrine (1869-1955), later a noted artist, lived here about 1880. His mother’s unmarked grave is in this cemetery. On March 15, 1887, W. C. Ellis and T. J. Wise deeded 3 acres for the school, in which enrollment would rise at times to nearly 100 pupils in eight grades taught by one teacher. In 1930 the school was consolidated with Bridgeport.